Harbourmen sink the Fishermen!

1 year ago By Alun Foulkes

as Holyhead Town end Nefyn's unbeaten start to the season

Unbeaten Nefyn visited Millbank in a much anticipated clash between the two title chasers. In a frantic first few minutes, Ryan Lees came close to opening the scoring when his long range effort was well saved by Nefyn number 1 Alwyn Williams. Town continued to press and Ian Williams forced his name sake Alwyn into another fine save after being slipped in by Asa Thomas. From the resulting corner, Asa Thomas saw his effort turned around the post. The pressure on the league leaders was mounting and it was Tom Roberts' turn to be disappointed by the heroics of Williams. 
The breakthrough finally came in the 38th minute. Asa Thomas's cross was headed home by Ian Williams (pictured) to give the Harbourmen a deserved lead. At the other end Steve Jones tested Mike Bentley with a speculative effort. Town doubled their advantage on 43 minutes when Captain Tom Roberts' 25 yard free kick found the back of the net. It was no more than Town deserved. 
With half time looming some neat play by Tristan Parry and Daniel Roberts resulted in captain Steve Jones beating Bentley to the ball and his headed looped into the unguarded goal to reduce the arrears. 
The opening exchanges of second half followed the pattern of the first. Man of the match Jordie Murphy made light work of skipping past 4 challengers but saw his shot sail handsomely over the bar. Asa Thomas, Tom Roberts and Ian Williams also saw their efforts miss the target as Town looked to regain their two goal advantage. Tom Roberts came close again on the hour but his powerful header came back out via the crossbar.
With chances failing to to be converted, Nefyn began to get their tails up and apply some pressure on the Town defence and Iwan Griffiths went close from 30 yards. Then a defining moment in the match came with 20 minutes to go when Nefyn were awarded a penalty after a coming together. Danny Roberts, who had already converted four penalties this season stepped up but, this time, saw his effort go agonisingly wide of the post. 
With time now running out, Nefyn continued to press for the equaliser but failed to trouble Bentley. Their was still time for Asa Thomas to force another great save from Williams after a 40 yard pass from Matty Thomas. 



Where next?

Stumdwy into last 32 of FAW Trophy after a stunning 5-4 away win at Welsh League
Menai Bridge Tigers to host prestigious friendly against touring Welsh Guards XI on Tuesday, 12th September 2017.

Match centre

Latest photos

Bro Goronwy 0 Llangoed 4
29 photos
Bro Goronwy 0 Llangoed 4
CPD Glantraeth FC v Menai Bridge Tigers
13 photos
Bro Goronwy 3 Llanystumdwy 5
43 photos

The Cynghrair Peldroed Gwynedd Football League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.